Friday, November 13, 2009

Passion - or - What REALLY Turns Me On

PASSION.

“They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them feel.”  Carl W. Beuchner sums it all up in this one simple sentence. 








Passion drives me, even more than curiosity drives me.  For in the rare moments when my hyperactive mind is quieted and curiosity is momentarily idle, passion knows no such idleness.  Every thought, motion and spoken word is propelled forward in my life by passion.  It can be exhausting.

The definition of Passion:

–noun
1. any powerful or compelling emotion or feeling, as love or hate.

2. strong amorous feeling or desire; love; ardor.
3. strong sexual desire; lust.
4. an instance or experience of strong love or sexual desire.
5. a person toward whom one feels strong love or sexual desire.
6. a strong or extravagant fondness, enthusiasm, or desire for anything: a passion for music.
7. the object of such a fondness or desire: Accuracy became a passion with him.
8. an outburst of strong emotion or feeling: He suddenly broke into a passion of bitter words.
9. violent anger.
10. the state of being acted upon or affected by something external, esp. something alien to one's nature or one's customary behavior




The definition leaves one wanting for more.  Passion is not a manifestation that can well be described by words alone.  Truly, the written word "Passion" is perhaps much better understood when used by example:
 
“Tears are words the heart can't express”  
 
Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel"Nothing great in the world has ever been accomplished without passion.”
 
John Maxwell"A great leader's courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion, not position.”
 
Angela Monet:      “Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who could not hear the music.”
 
 

 
Joss Whedon“Passion, it lies in all of us, sleeping... waiting... and though unwanted... unbidden... it will stir... open its jaws and howl. It speaks to us... guides us... passion rules us all, and we obey. What other choice do we have? Passion is the source of our finest moments. The joy of love... the clarity of hatred... and the ecstasy of grief. It hurts sometimes more than we can bear. If we could live without passion maybe we'd know some kind of peace... but we would be hollow... Empty rooms shuttered and dank. Without passion we'd be truly dead.”
 
Federico Fellini“There is no end. There is no beginning. There is only the passion of life.”
 
Virgil“Your profession is not what brings home your paycheck. Your profession is what you were put on earth to do. With such passion and such intensity that it becomes spiritual in calling.”
 



I often toy around with the idea of trying my hand at photography, and creating a book all about passion through the eyes.  I am forever watching for interactions ... an elderly couple staring into each other's eyes upon both being humored or saddened by something - I just love that they have a history together and have become one.  Young schoolchildren staring into their teacher's eyes as they are told a captivating story.  A child in pain looking into a parent's eyes, and the parent looking back in pain upon the realization of a hurting little soul.  Anybody at the bedside of a dying parent.  Anybody discovery the death of a beloved soul.  Any animal staring into the eyes of their young one.  An audience captivated by whatever/whomever is in front of them.  A singer or musician lost in their music....

Which brings me to the main body of this post.  It seems to me that when I reflect on times and events in my life gone by, I always associate it with the music I was listening to at the time.  I have always become entranced when observing any artist in the throws of performance. 

When I think of life in gerneral, meaning MY life, I think of the following song forever playing in the background.  From Aerosmith:  Kings and Queens.  (I was not able to find a good performance video online, but the following serves well because it is the original recorded version.  The video is nothing more than the lyrics.) ....


Though I am a rocker at heart, I am open-minded to any music.  I think the following video is one of my favorite examples of an incredibly passionate performer - Michael Jackson.  I count my lucky stars for having been alive during this performer's lifetime.  For whatever people's opinions are about the man, he wore his passion on his sleeve.  The song is "Dirty Diana".  The song is about a persistant groupie.  I love the following story...According to Michael Jackson in an interview, this song was scheduled for a live 1988 performance at Wembley Stadium during the Bad World Tour; however, Jackson felt the song would be an insult to Princess Diana, who was in attendance, so he had it removed. Diana informed him the song was actually one of her personal favorites and he later went on to perform the song.


Slash.  Mm hm.  I am passionate about this guy way beyond his music, but whatever.  His contribution to multiple bands is legendary.  But his music stands alone, too... (Godfather Theme)


Henry Rollins.  I have only very recently discovered this incredible phenomenon, only to realize the world has known about him for decades.  His music is only one facet of his passion.  This man is passion embodied in flesh.  At this point I am unable to pen anything coherent about this boy, because I am enraptured by everything Rollins. GaGa. Tongue-tied.  I have no exposure to punk rock, but all else around me fades to black when I watch this guy perform.  Check out "Liar" and "Disconnect" after you've watched the following video which is a live performance at the Bizarre Fest 2000 (Germany).


Christina.  Pink.  Mya.  Lil' Kim. ...  Lady Marmalade


Alecia Keys.  Fallin'.


The Cult.  Wild Flower.


Kid Rock.  Bawitdaba.


Eve and Gwen Stefani.  Let Me Blow Ya Mind


Guns N' Roses.  Sweet Child O' Mine.


Blah, blah, blah.

Therefore, I shall....

Rock on.

No comments:

Post a Comment